First Year Laboratory
Students from eight different courses, Physics 1301A, Physics 1302B, Physics 1401A, Physics 1402B, Physics 1501A, Physics 1502B, Physics 1028A, and Physics 1029B attend the First Year Physics Laboratory. Each course is divided into two-course sections and one or more lab sections. Please read carefully through the general information below and note that more specific information can be found on the relevant OWL sites.
Rooms: M2220, M2230, M2240, M2250 (Second floor, Material Sciences Addition (MSA))
You can buy the first-year physics laboratory manual package from the university bookstore. There are four different first-year physics laboratory manual books. Ensure that you purchase the correct lab package for your course. For more information log in to lab information through the OWL site.
- Physics 1301A, Physics1401A, Physics 1501A - These courses use the same lab manual book
- Physics 1302B, Physics 1402B, Physics 1502B - These courses use the same lab manual book
- Physics 1028A lab manual book
- Physics 1029B lab manual book
For all Laboratory related questions/concerns, please send an email to:
Dr. Shailesh Nene
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext. 80541
Room: M 2203, Materials Science Addition
Note: We only reply to student email accounts assigned by Western. Update your local London address and telephone number on file with the Office of the Registrar.
Students from different courses, Physics 1301/1302, 1401/1402, 1501/1502, 1028, and 1029 attend the First Year Physics Laboratory. Since the total number of students is about 2000, each laboratory section is divided into four laboratory sub-sections, A, B, C, and D. For example, the laboratory sub-sections for Physics 1301 and lab section 003 are given as 1301-003-A, 1301-003-B, 1301-003-C, and 1301-003-D.
First-year labs are located in rooms M 2220, 2230, 2240, and 2250. M stands for Materials Science Addition.
Your lab section can be found on your course schedule sent to you by the UWO Registrar's Office, or by checking your Personal Timetable on the UWO Registrar's Website.
This information can be found on lab OWL.
Lab timetables can be found on lab OWL.
Before coming to your first laboratory, you need to :
- Buy the First Year Physics Lab Manual package/book from the UWO Bookstore.
- Read Notes to Students, found in your lab manual package, or by following the link to lab OWL.
- Check your Western email account at least once a day. We reply only to your student email account assigned by UWO. Update your local London address and telephone number on file with the Western Office of the Registrar.
- Read the Measurements lab manual found in your lab manual package.
- Do the pre-lab questions for the Measurements manual and bring it to your first lab. We collect pre-lab sheets at the door. Do not fill in the other sections of the manual at home, lab write-ups must be completed in the class.
See Contact Information (above) or lab OWL.
No. First-year labs are located in rooms M 2220, 2230, 2240, and 2250. Your lab subsection A, B, C, or D will attend a different lab on any given lab day. See your lab section's timetable for more information.
Select ONE lab partner to work with you in the lab. Select your partner from the same sub-section ( A, B, C, or D) as you are in because all the students in one sub-section will do their labs in the same lab room. You may change your partner at any time.
You may be eligible for exemption from the laboratory if you have completed the laboratory within the last three years. Please see Laboratory Exemptions on OWL for more information.
Read the guidelines for writing lab write-ups which is posted on lab OWL.
All the lab write-ups collected during the lab session will be returned to you at the beginning of the next lab.
We keep a lost and found box in the lab. Please see a lab supervisor or a demonstrator during lab operating hours.