Peter Brown, Professor and Canada Research Chair
The overarching theme for my research is the origin and evolution of small bodies in the solar system and their delivery/impact on Earth.In broad form, the long-term objective of my research program is to better understand the beginnings of the solar system by examining its most primitive objects, namely comets and asteroids, through study of their debris in the form of meteoroids and how these objects interacting with the Earth have affected our origins. My research program builds on my existing work and is composed of research projects linked together in specific research themes which address this global objective.
The four research themes in my program and their objectives include:
- Meteoroid structure: Using the interaction of meteoroids with the atmosphere, (producing the light, heat and sound phenomena collectively termed a meteor), measurement of the physical structure and composition of small meteoroids is performed and related to the makeup of their parent body populations.
- Meteoroid impact effects on planetary atmospheres and surfaces: The objective of this theme is to measure the flux of impactors (mainly in the tens of meter size range and smaller), their velocity distribution and the effects of such impacts on planetary bodies.
- Meteoroid Stream Evolution and Origins (Orbital Dynamics): To identify meteoroids with specific parent bodies and relate their characteristics directly to particular small bodies. A related objective in this theme is to identify possible interstellar meteoroids and relate specific meteoroids to progenitor planetary systems, thus directly "sampling" material from other stellar systems.
- Meteorite Origins and Cosmochemistry: Collect samples in the form of meteorites which are instrumentally recorded to fall, reconstruct pre-atmospheric orbits and determine the physical nature (strength, size, shape) of the pre-impact body through its ablation behaviour.
- Weryk, R.J., Campbell-Brown, M.D., Wiegert, P.A., Brown, P.G., Krzeminski, Z., and R. Musci (2013) The Canadian Automated Observatory (CAMO): System Overview, in revision to Icarus
- Weryk, R.J. and Brown, P. (2013) Simultaneous radar and video meteors - II: Photometric and Ionization comparisons, Planetary and Space Science, 81, 32-47.
- Wiegert, P.A., Brown, P., Weryk, R.J., Wong, D.K. (2012) The return of the Andromedids, The Astronomical Journal. accepted Jan 2, 2013
- Brown, P., Marchenko, V., Moser, D.E., Weryk, R.J., Cooke, W. (2012) Meteorites from meteor showers: A case study of the Taurids, Meteoritics and Planetary Science, accepted Nov 17, 2012
Physics 1026: Physics for Engineering Students
Physics 1402B: Physics for Engineering Students
Astronomy 2201B: Solar System
Astronomy 2021B: Search for Life in the Universe
Astronomy 221B: The Solar System
Astronomy 231G: The Solar System
Physics 478B: Special Topics in Physics
Astronomy 571B: Water in the Solar System
Astronomy 601B: Solar System and Planetary Astronomy
Astronomy 710B: MARS – from its interior to its moons
Planetary Science 9602B: Modular Course in Planetary Science
Academic Honours: (not research grants)
- 2010-2017 Canada Research Chair (Tier I)–Meteor Astronomy
- 2006 Florence Bucke Award–Faculty of Science, Western
- 2003 Provincial Research Excellence Award
- 2001–2010 Canada Research Chair (Tier II)–Meteor Science
- 2001 Plaskett Medal of CASCA/RASC
- 2001 Ontario Distinguished Res1earcher Award
- 2000 Listed by Maclean’s Magazine as one of the “Top 100 Young Canadians to Watch in the 21st Century” (Jan. 1, 2000 issue).
- Promotion and Tenure Committee–Electrical & Computer Engineering, May 2008–May 2010
- Deans Decanal search committee Dec, 2009–June, 2010
- Director, Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration, Jan 2009–present
- Physics and Astronomy Chair Selection Committee, May 2008–Dec 2009
- Earth Science Chair Selection Committee, Aug 2006–2009
- Education Policy Committee, Planetary science program rep., July 2006–present
- Director, Planetary Science Program and Research Group, July 2003–July 2008
- Education Policy Committee, Physics and Astronomy representative, July 2003–July 2005
- Director, Elginfield Observatory, Jan 2011–present
- Academic Planning Committee, May 2010–Jul 2011
- Adjudication representative (Planetary Science) 2008–present
- Appointments Committee (elected), 2007–2010
- Planning Committee, 2007–2008
- Promotion & Tenure Committee (elected), 2005–2008
- Graduate Affairs Committee, Oct 2005–2007, Jul 2010–Jul 2011
- Outreach Committee, 2004–2010
- Workload Committee (elected), 2004–2007
- Curriculum Committee, 2001–2005 (Chair 2002–2005)
- Colloquium Committee, 2000–2003
- Space Advisory Committee, 2000–2003